I told one of my best friends about my first Pickleball tournament that I was hosting. He immediately wanted to play so we sat down and discussed the rules and basic strategy before his first tournament.
Justen is very athletic and we enjoyed intramural sports together in college when we were roommates together at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (UMHB). So I knew he would be able to pick up Pickleball real quick for his beginner tournament.
Passing on my Knowledge as a Pickleball Coach to My Best Friend
I am a Pickleball coach in Austin, Texas and teach a lot of beginner classes at the Austin Tennis and Pickleball Center. It was my honor to pass on some of that knowledge to Justen so he could enjoy this amazingly fun sport too!
Update – Justen had a blast at his first tournament and is excited to play again at the next tournament. I’m so happy to hear you had a great time Justen!
What We Discussed in our Pickleball Podcast Episode
Justen and I got to talk about a lot of great topics in our chat. We talked mostly about Pickleball topics but we also snuck in some off topic discussions towards the end which were equally fun to talk about.
Pickleball Topics I Explained and We Discussed Together
Here are the main subjects we covered as I introduced Justen to Pickleball:
- 3 different types of Pickleball paddles (wooden, aluminum and composite)
- What the most popular type of Pickleball paddle players use (composite)
- The basic rules and strategy of Pickleball
- When and where Pickleball started
- Pricing: Pickleball vs. Tennis
- Skills I learned from online businesses that helped me organize my first Pickleball tournament.
- And what makes Pickleball so great!
I was happy to be able to share a lot of helpful information to Justen to get him ready for his first tournament. Along with some fun topics that are just interesting to know.
Non Pickleball Topics We Shared Together
We also got to talk about some unrelated topics towards the end of this episode. We discussed:
- How Justen was such an inspiration to me starting the Calvin Keeney Show.
- Persistance – Anything worth doing takes a lot of time and effort.
- Skills I’ve learned from building Streamlined Gaming that I find useful in my life.
Thanks for Your Interest in Pickleball, Justen
It was really fun getting to talk about Pickleball and more with you. I had a blast as always chatting together and learning from each other. I look forward to having you on the show again soon, Justen!
P.S. Have any questions or thoughts about Pickleball? Leave them in the comments below. Thanks for reading 🙂